Environment and Recycling

Liesbeek River Update - Erosion of the river bank

Fernwood's character

  • Marijke Honig (qualified landscaper and resident) has some thoughts on Fernwood losing its character! Read her viewpoint.


  • Trees outside your house cannot be felled, even if they are replaced with indigenous trees. Permission has to be sought by home owners from the City of Cape Town. Many trees have been expressly earmarked by the Environmental Branch of the City of Cape Town for retention. It is the policy of the Parks Board not to cut any existing alien tree down. Nurseries, however, cannot sell alien trees but any existing trees cannot be cut down but will be left to die naturally.
  • Removal of alien trees NOTICE 2485 OF 1999
  • Trees policy

In case of dubious tree felling: The tree-fellers must have a permit!

  • Parks Department's Neil Fortes can be reached on 021-689 8102 or 082 561 3619.

  • Mr Swartz at City Parks: 021-689 8102/3

  • Newlands Nursery Parks Depot: 021-689 4185

Where to go for help?

  • Useful contact numbers for environmental help, advice, and complaints in Cape Town.

Environmental laws and regulations

You will find most your answers on these websites provided by the Council and Government.

1. Cape Town City Council - Environmental Resource Management

2. Cape Gateway


  • We have a 'bulk recycling' ageement with recycle1st (www.recycle1st.co.za) to collect recyclable waste from outside our homes. Contact Miranda du Toit at recycle1st to get a special rate for recycling your waste.